TERMS AND CONDITIONS - PDF Version (91kb)
1. The Arthur Guy Memorial Painting Prize (AGMPP) is a painting prize and exhibition with an acquisitive cash prize of $50,000.
2. The AGMPP is conducted bi‐annually by Bendigo Art Gallery (the Gallery). The Prize is open to all Australian artists (citizens of Australia or residents for at least 12 months).
3. Works chosen for the exhibition will be pre‐selected from digital jpegs. Artists may enter a maximum of two works completed since 1 April 2016. The displayed work must be one of the two works submitted to the judges.
4. The judges’ decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. The judges will award a cash prize to the value of $50,000 for the winning work. The judges reserve the right not to select any work if works are not, in their opinion, of sufficient merit. The Gallery has the right to refuse to display any entry.
6. The painting awarded the AGMPP will automatically become part of the permanent collection of the Gallery upon payment of the prize money to the winning entrant. The $50,000 prize money includes the Gallery’s acquisition of the work.
7. Entries must be received by Bendigo Art Gallery no later than 4pm Friday 7 April 2017.
Entries will not be accepted after this time. Entries must consist of no more than two jpeg images, a curriculum vitae (two page maximum), entry form and entry fee.
8. Entry fee is $45 per artist. Entry fee is non‐refundable and covers administration and handling. Any entry not accompanied by payment of entry fee will be ineligible.
9. Employees of Bendigo Art Gallery, City of Greater Bendigo employees, the organisers, and members of their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
10. Digital images should be less than than two megabytes, saved as jpegs, and saved with the following details as the file name: artist’s surname_artist’s firstname_title.jpeg
Images submitted must be of works that have been executed since May 2016. Slides, photographs, photocopied reproductions, emailed images or any other representation of the work will not be accepted.
11. Completed works should not exceed 2.5 metres in any given dimension (including frame). A work may consist of multiple parts but must not exceed overall size limits.
12. All artists will be notified of pre‐selection outcome by Friday 12 May 2017. The Gallery will retain selected artists’ visual material until the close of the exhibition.
13. All works selected must be sent with hanging fixtures attached and must be marked clearly on the back with artist’s name, address and title of work with installation instructions included (if applicable). Fittings/fixtures may be altered by qualified Gallery staff where required. It is intended that the works selected by the judges will be shown in exhibition at the Gallery. Should space prevent the display of work, the Gallery will advise the entrant.
14. The Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered to any painting in its possession or under its control and each entrant shall indemnify the Gallery against loss or damage suffered to his or her painting. Artworks will not be insured by the Gallery. The Gallery will retain all packaging provided (where possible) and reuse to pack work(s) at the close of the exhibition.
15. The Gallery will not be responsible for the sale of works. Any enquiries regarding sale of work from the general public will be directed to the artist and/or dealer.
16. Works must be delivered during the week of Monday 5 – Thursday 8 June 2017.
Please contact the Collections Manager in advance of delivery to arrange a suitable time [email protected] or 03 54346086. All entries selected for exhibition must be available for continuous display at the Gallery for the entire period of the exhibition. Artists and/or representatives cannot remove an artwork from display prior to Monday 18 September 2017.
17. Artists selected for exhibition will allow their works to be reproduced in print and electronic formats for the purpose of advertising and promoting the exhibition. The Gallery reserves the right to reproduce the winning entry in relation to the Prize.
18. Freight of artwork is the responsibility of the artist. Artworks will not be accepted unless delivered and returned free of all freight and other charges. If an artist shall fail or omit to remove a work from the Gallery within two weeks of the close of the exhibition as provided in these conditions, the Gallery, after sending a notice by post to the artist at the last known address of its intention to sell or otherwise dispose of such work, or in the event of no address being known to the Gallery, then one month after advertising such notice of intention in a newspaper, may sell such work and after deducting from the proceeds the cost of the incidental to the sale shall hold any balance for the artist. However in the event of such work being in the opinion of the Gallery unsaleable then the Gallery may in lieu of selling the same, destroy or otherwise dispose in such a manner as it may deem fit and thereafter the Gallery shall be under no liability whatsoever to the artist in respect of any work so destroyed or disposed of. All care will be taken, however the Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage, howsoever caused.
Freight and insurance is the responsibility of the artist.
19. All personal information gathered by the Gallery will be used solely for the purpose of administering the AGMPP.